The BCSP's STSC® certification is a credential appropriate for ironworker members, including journeymen, foremen, superintendents, and signatory contractor management personnel who have responsibilities to maintain safe conditions and practices on construction job sites. This certification is offered by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) and sponsored through funding from IMPACT. This certification program is administered by the Ironworkers Safety and Health Department. The primary contact person for questions pertaining to this certification process should be directed to Christie Rose at (847) 795-1714 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow the steps below to begin the process of determining whether you are eligible to become certified as an STSC®. You must complete Steps 1-5 to participate in an IMPACT-sponsored STSC® self-study Prep Course, including the STSC® BCSP examination.
Step 1: Determine whether you are eligible to become certified:
In order to participate in IMPACT’s STSC® self study prep course and fee reimbursement program, you must meet specific eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria include:
- For ironworkers, you must receive written confirmation from your Local Union Business Manager that you are in good standing and a suitable candidate for the STSC® certification.
[NOTE: Hold on to this letter and submit it when you seek reimbursement]
- For contractor personnel (who are NOT members of any other union/trade), you must currently be employed by an ironworker signatory contractor and have a letter from your employer verifying your employment status. [NOTE: Hold on to this letter and submit it when you seek reimbursement]
- Ironworkers and contractors must read and sign the attached “Acknowledgement Letter” that provides clarification on the content, scope and limitations of the STSC Certification. CLICK HERE [NOTE: Hold on to this Acknowledgement Letter and submit it when you seek reimbursement).
Contact your Business Manager or employer to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria above.
In order to be eligible to become certified as an STSC®, you must also meet training and experience criteria. The training and experience criteria include:
- You must have completed 30 hours of safety training, AND
- You must have at least four total years of construction work experience, OR
- You must have at least two years of construction work experience as a supervisor
Step 2: Understand the background review requirements:
As part of the STSC® certification process, a criminal background review is performed by BCSP as part of the STSC® application process. Applicants are required to provide disclosure of:
- All felony convictions
- All misdemeanor convictions within the past five (5) years (Minor traffic violations and petty offenses DO NOT have to be reported)
- Any record of unethical behavior
- Information related to having a professional license or certification denied, suspended or revoked for reasons other than not meeting qualifications, failure of examination, or failure to pay renewal fees
For more information about the criminal background review,
Step 3: Register for the STSC® on-line self-study Prep Course:
The IMPACT STSC on-line Prep Course is designed to help you prepare to take the STSC® examination. We have provided an on-line self-study STSC prep course for your review and use. NOTE: You must complete Steps 3, 4 and 5 in order to register for the self-study prep course (Step 3), apply for the certification and pay the application fee (Step 4), and pay the exam fee (Step 5).
Step 4: Apply for the STSC® Certification:
You must visit the BCSP website to apply for the STSC® certification and pay the application fee ($65).
CLICK HERE to apply for the certification.
Step 5: Receive your exam eligibility notice and become approved to take the STSC® exam:
If your application is approved, you will receive a notification that you are eligible to take the STSC® exam.
Step 6: Access self-study materials, videos and how-to guides:
This link requires you to log in to the IMPACT website for access to the BCSP STSC® Self-Assessment. You may also email your name, local union, and book number to Christie Rose at CRose@iwintl.org to request a copy of the Self-Assessment or contact her by phone at 847-795-1714.
Step 7: Take and pass the STSC® Exam:
You may take it at a Pearson VUE testing center. To find a Pearson VUE testing center, CLICK HERE.
Step 8: Pay your prorated renewal fee upon completion of the exam, and pay subsequent annual renewals:
Upon passing the exam, you will receive a notice to pay the prorated renewal fee for the year. Subsequently, you must pay an annual renewal fee of $70. In your 5th year of certification, you will be required to re-certify.
Step 9: Record your STSC® certification with your local union training coordinator:
CLICK HERE for instructions.
Step 10: Submit your receipts for reimbursement, if applicable:
CLICK HERE for instructions on how to be reimbursed for the STSC® application fee and exam fee.